Friday, September 29, 2006

ATM Activation Update

I wanted report on what happened when I actually called up to activate my really new ATM card (in case anyone cares). I phoned up the number as the sticker on the card directed me to do and after I punched in my new card number I received a message stating, "This card is already activated" and then I got disconnected.

Hm. The call I made to activate my card when I mysteriously received a "replacement" card (not a new card with a new number) obviously went through--and the operator activated my new card (even though the number I gave her was for my old card). Hm. So my new card was already activated before I received it. Someone could've stolen it out of my mailbox and used it without having to answer all those pesky questions. I think I've uncovered a security issue with how the person on the phone handled my request.

For what its worth--its those special cases that'll get you everytime.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you thought that maybe the reason for them having you call isn't to "activate" the card. Credit card companies and other entities routinely do this to get your phone number from Caller ID, which can then be sold without your knowledge.

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home