Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Martin Fowler is no Kent Beck

I know the difference between those two....When authors make mistakes, readers notice. In my latest IEEE Software Design Column, Driven...to Discovering Your Design Values, I quoted Martin Fowler as claiming that test-driven development,
“gives you this sense of keeping just one ball in the air at once, so you can concentrate on that ball properly and do a really good job with it.”

Kent quoted Martin in his book Test Driven Development by Example.
It gets a little tricky when you cite someone quoting someone else. Originally, I had the reference to the book in line with the quote attributed to Martin (but my citation only listed the book title, not the author). My editor moved that citation to the back of my article and undstandably filled in Martin as the author. Easy mistake to make and I didn't double check the references when it was refactored. I assumed my editor would fill in the author appropriately and double check citation.

My fault. You heard it from me first. When anything is refactored, whether it is code or citations or comments, you need to check twice. Since I don't have an xUnit tool to write tests for citations and quotations, this has to be by visual inspection. I'll know better next time. Thanks Mirko and Shinobu for caring enough to email me about this mistake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home